Call to Artists
WGGC Exhibition at
Fitton Center for Creative Arts, 2017
Theme: Crossing Over
Submissions due at Guild House: June 16, 2017
Installation: July 2017
Exhibit: August - September 2017
Last year the guild exhibitions committee submitted a proposal to the Fitton Center for Creative Arts,
Hamilton, Ohio, for a 2017 exhibit by our members. In January we learned that the Fitton's selection
committee had accepted our proposal. Our show will be installed in July and will open in August
and close in September.
As with past external exhibitions, this show will give the guild ample public exposure.
The invitation is a significant honor from a venue with a reputation for excellence. Artworks
chosen for display will adhere to high standards of creativity, skill, aesthetics, and
relevance to the theme. Each member is encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity
to use her/his expertise and imagination to explore, to expand, and perhaps to refine a
favorite technique and/or medium. The show will include objects considered fine art or
fine craft or both.
The theme-and-title for our exhibit is Crossing Over. This theme will also apply to the work
of two solo artists exhibiting concurrently in the other Fitton Center galleries:
Eileen Woods and
Here are the details for submissions:
NOTE: The exhibit theme is very broad and can apply to almost everything we do or could make.
To assist you in your creative process, here are some possible interpretations for "crossing over":
- All artworks must have been created within the last five years (2012 or later) and must not
have been exhibited at the Fitton Center for Creative Arts.
- There is no limit on the number of submissions.
- You may use any fiber technique(s).
- Each artwork must be delivered in "hangable" or "displayable" condition.
The Fitton Center
can exhibit works on gallery walls and in display cases. Objects can be suspended from
the ceiling. Three-dimensional floor works may be submitted. Each quilt or wall-hanging
must have a rod or a slat (concealed from front view) with holes or eyehooks on the ends.
Rug-hooked pieces may require both top and bottom slats or rods to prevent turning in.
- The body of submitted artworks will be juried/curated to ensure the best possible exhibit.
- The Fitton Center for Creative Arts retains a 30% commission for every artwork sold during
- All submissions must be delivered to the guild house no later than June 16, 2017.
- Each exhibitor must be a member in good standing. Dues for the 2017-2018 guild year must be
paid prior to making submissions for this exhibit.
- Site-specific installations are invited. Please submit a proposal to the exhibitions
committee no later than March 31, 2017.
Please direct any questions to Barbara Moss, Exhibitions Committee Chairperson.
- Transformation or change (changing from one form to another; metamorphosis; changing an
attitude or philosophy; transforming one fiber or fabric form into a finished product)
- Intersections (literal "crossings" of fibers or yarns or fabric [weaving, knitting, felting,
thread painting, collage, etc.]; of people; of ideas; of roads or paths)
- Passages (personal life transitions; rites of passage; physical passages)
- Crossing a border or boundary or geographic feature or threshold (bridge between or bridge over;
travel experiences; crossing the finish line for a challenge)
- Differences (between or among several languages; several cultures; multiple fiber
techniques; several mediums or colorways)
- Moving from one realm to another (reality to fantasy; life to death; youth to maturity;
work life to retirement; one format for telling a story to another, such as oral history
to written work, or a family history onto fabric; changing locations or jobs)
- Physical appearance (changing personal appearance, as in crossing over from
domestic garb to party dress, or adding a hat or jewelry to an outfit; public
versus private appearances; alterations of facial features using makeup; cross-dressing)
- Cross shape (Xs, plus signs, etc.)